Your COSUGI Compendium: Everything You Need to Know About Indianapolis, part 2 The Dish on Dining
May 9th, 2016
Hopefully, part 1 of the COSUGI Compendium got you giddy for Indy. But wait—there’s more! Be sure to bring your taste for delicious adventures because Indianapolis offers ample opportunity for culinary tourism.
Again, we’ve tried to keep our suggestions within walking distance of the hotel. We’ve also tried to give priority to the locally-owned establishments for unique tastes you won’t be able to find anywhere else.
If you’re open to venturing farther from the hotel, consider looking into Visit Indy’s suggestions, not only for food but sights to see and things to do. Restaurants like Locally Grown Gardens and The Loft are tempting, but require a bit of a trek.
Starting off with the most important nourishment of the day: coffee! There is a Starbucks attached to the Indianapolis Marriott Downtown, but if you’d like to try something new there are lots of options just outside your door. We’ve listed our suggestions from starting with coffee, breakfast, lunch, and on through dinner and drinks; keep in mind, many of these places have great menus for all of your daily meals.
- Bee Coffee Roasters is a small batch coffee roaster. Located only a few blocks from the hotel, about a 6-minute walk. Open 6am-5:30pm. Cost: $ 201 South Capitol Avenue #110, Indianapolis, IN 46225
- Cups is a locally-owned, independent coffeehouse. Serving coffee, tea, specialty espresso drinks, and smoothies. 12-minute walk. Open: 6am-5pm. Cost: $ 107 North Pennsylvania Street # 100, Indianapolis, IN 46204
- Hubbard & Cravens Coffee and Tea is a distributor of fine coffees and teas. Their storefront location in downtown Indy is about a 10 minute walk from the hotel. Open 6am-6pm. Cost: $$ 11 S Meridian St, Indianapolis, IN 46204
- Café Patachou serves up made-from-scratch gourmet breakfast and lunch using seasonal, locally sourced ingredients. And don’t forget the coffee! Only 4 minute walk from the Marriott, stroll on by for an omelet, sandwich, or smoothie. Open 7am-3pm (open at 8 on the weekend). Cost: $$ 225 West Washington Street, Indianapolis, IN 46204
- Yolk lies farther from your door at an 18 minute walk from the hotel. Don’t let the name lead you to think your options here are limited to scrambled or fried. While your basics eggs are on the menu, you might opt for the red velvet French toast, a fresh baked muffin, or build your own breakfast wrap. Open 6pm-3pm. Cost: $$ 220 E South St, Indianapolis, IN 46225
- Milktooth is a locally-owned diner serving a rotating menu of playful, seasonal brunch and coffee. About a 20 minute walk from the Marriott. Open 7am-3pm. Cost: $$ 534 Virginia Avenue, Indianapolis, IN 46203
- First Watch will require about a 20 minute to get to a tasty breakfast and lunch menu. An Indianapolis breakfast favorite. Cost: $$. 443 N. Pennsylvania St. Indianapolis, IN 46204
- Three Days in Paris is a street-style creperie that specializes in hand-prepared sweet and savory crepes and pour-over coffee. The 15 minute there will take you past Monument circle and into the heart of the Indianapolis City Market, a year-round farmer’s market. Open: 9am-2pm. Cost: $ 222 East Market Street, Indianapolis, IN 46204
- Nada is a “high-energy, modern Mexican restaurant.” A 7 minute walk will take you to creative brunch, lunch and dinner dishes. Open 11am-10pm. Cost: $$ 11 West Maryland Street, Indianapolis, IN 46204
- Three Carrots is a much-celebrated, locally-owned vegetarian restaurant. A 15 minute walk to fresh and healthy breakfast, sandwiches, wraps, and salads. Open 8am-6pm. Cost: $ 222 E Market St, Indianapolis, IN 46204
- Soupremacy local soup shop slinging slow-cooked soups made with fresh ingredients. 11 minute walk. Open 7am-8pm. Cost: $ 7 E Mitchell, Indianapolis IN 46204
- The Educated Sandwich is a nearby option for a quick sandwich or homemade soup. 5 minute walk. Open: 7am-2pm. Cost: $ 150 West Market Street #130, Indianapolis, IN 46204
- Spoke and Steele is the place to go for those who savor fine dining. The textures and tastes of the New American menu have been recognized by both local and national reviewers. A 7 minute walk from the hotel. Open 6am-midnight. Cost $$$ 123 S. Illinois Street, Indianapolis, IN 46225
- Yats is a distinctive Indianapolis favorite serving a rotating menu of New Orleans-style dishes. Informal, comfort Cajun and Creole. Open 11am-9pm. Cost: $ 910 West 10th Street, Indianapolis, IN 46202
- Napolese is a famous pizzeria serving artisanal creations made form hand-formed dough and housemade tomato sauce. A 10 minute walk. Open 7:30am-10pm. Cost: $$ 30 South Meridian Street, Indianapolis, IN 46204
- St. Elmo Steak House has been an Indianapolis staple since 1902. The traditional menu includes their famous shrimp cocktail and locally sourced steak, chops, and chicken. 7 minute walk from the Marriott. Open 4pm-11pm. Cost: $$$ 127 S Illinois St, Indianapolis, IN 46225
- Head to Libertine for what locals consider some of the finest crafted cocktails in town. 10 minute walk from the Marriott. Open 4pm-2am. Cost: $$$ 608 Massachusetts Ave, Indianapolis, IN 46204
- Slippery Noodle is considered one of the Midwest’s premier blues clubs. Originally founded in 1850, it now stands as Indiana’s oldest, continually operating bar—and might possibly be haunted. You can expect traditional bar fare from the menu and some of the best blues in town. 13 minute walk. Open 11am-3am. Cost: $$ 372 South Meridian Street, Indianapolis, IN 46225
Come to Indianapolis with an appetite! We look forward to seeing you there!